Search This Blog

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas, the New Year & a Retreat from my Favourite Retreat....

CHRISTMAS 2010
Christmas 2010 with my family
Sam, Dustin, Mojo, me, Brodie & Nellie - 1st Christmas in our Hornby Island home

Christmas came and went so fast and now we are once again looking forward to a new year. Another big change is in the wind with Sam retiring about mid year.

I so totally enjoyed being my own person for a lot of 2010. I think I have finally become accustomed to being "just me". I enjoy being a bit of a hermit now as it leaves me time to work on that which inspires me the most - creating art!

We have been so fortunate so far in that our kids have always been home for Christmas. Two years ago Brodie made it all the way from Thailand to arrive back in Sooke at 11:30 p.m. on Christmas Day, after a 65 hour trip. This year Dustin also made it home after an 11 month adventure in Australia arriving home December 16th. So Christmas with Dustin and Brodie was wonderful as usual and I cherish having them around us and always will.

We will be ringing in the New Year at the Hornby Island Community Hall with Marc Atkinson (a world renowned Hornby Island musician) along with his quartet and a couple of special guests. I believe they will be playing a gypsy caravan type style of music. We get to spend New Year's Eve with some of our Hornby friends but then we will be getting together with old friends from Sooke the following week for a nice dinner out at a restaurant.

So, now I move on to our newest location in Victoria for a couple of months. I am sad knowing that I won't have room to paint there and won't have the peace and tranquility that goes along with this island I now call home but I will put to good use my new pastels that Brodie gave me for Christmas and also hope to take a painting lesson or two, and maybe try some other creative endeavour. I will enjoy seeing Sam almost every day for awhile and also I am lucky to have some good friends to walk with and of course my dogs are always happy to keep me company anywhere I go.

So, on we go and I just wanted to wish everyone a wonderful New Year!~ With love, Karen

(P.S. May not get as much chance to post for awhile as we may not have internet right away).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen,
    It makes me sad to think after re-touching base with you after so long, through facebook, that I won't be seeing you for a while on facebook. I always enjoy our interchanges. However, I wish you and Sam every success and much serenity in your next stage of plans toward your mutual retirement. Just another adventure for you guys and new things to try. And just think, when you return to the Island to live, maybe in the Spring,(?) your bulbs will all be blooming and it will look like the paradise it already is only with glorious colour. :-) Love and wishes for a great bunch of tomorrows until you move back to the Island. Happy New Year! Sue

    ReplyDelete