Search This Blog

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Living in paradise!

There are no words to describe how I feel compared to how I felt 6 weeks ago.

My total years of working were 35 and that's not including my part-time jobs while in school. In the last 20 years I worked in the health care industry as an Executive Assistant to the CEO of a fairly big complex care facility. I knew that I needed to quit while my health was still fairly intact as it was getting worse in the last couple of years with extra stress due to increased workload because of health care cutbacks and the expectation that everyone should work at 110% (like yah...is that really possible). I was damaging my health and decided it was time to take matters into my own hands and retire at only 55 years young.


I am elated.... I feel free now! I almost feel as giddy as when I got out of high school and my life felt like it was just beginning with so many unknowns coming my way. What I am doing now is mostly for me, us (family) ...sounds a little selfish but as I recover from the insanity of constant pressure and expectations, I relish walking, gardening, talking, listening, tasting, cooking, smelling, reading........every bird that chirps enthralls me and my senses; every branch that sways in the wind, gives me a sense of how wonderful and beautiful nature is. Anyways, you get the picture.
..........................
As an aside, I am sooooooo happy Katt is now bloggin - check her out at
http://www.romanceandhorses.blogspot.com/ ; I'm really looking forward to her novels big time!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Karen,
    never mind me, those were some pretty nice lines you just wrote!

    So glad you're getting the 'happy' you've earned.

    And thanks for the plug!

    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can sooo relate to how you felt "working for the man" I absolutely hate my job and wish I were in a position to retire....I'm feeling very jealous! Gotta stick it out tho' I try to make the best of it and can't wait til I can retire too! Don't know what I want to do yet but I'm sure I'll think of something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the best part about being retired is that you can still work but maybe at something you would much prefer doing. I always liked playing around a bit in the garden but never really realized how passionate I am about gardening and just working outside in my yard all the time. When it rains, I'm a little sad....but then I can paint, or bake, or cook, or read. I wish you could retire right now too because I know you will find your passion as well. I haven't really felt this good for a long time.

    ReplyDelete