Search This Blog

Monday, September 13, 2010

Evolution of a retiree

As the seasons change, so do our lives......

It has been a whirlwind of activity since I retired. I have been spending the majority of my time at Hornby Island however I have also been to Vernon to spend my Mom's 83rd birthday with her, my sister and my brother's family who live there. I have been to Sooke a couple of times, to a wedding in Ladysmith, and an RV adventure to Port Renfrew. We have had quite a few visitors to Hornby, some spending as long as a week, and others just for the day.

When there is no company and I am not doing the touristy things or going to the beach, I have been spending a fair amount of time working in the yard doing clean-up, getting a few trees felled, gardening and walking. These past few months have been exactly what I have needed for quite some time and for the most part, I am feeling refreshed and alive again.
So, next on my agenda.........Well, I have started to paint again (finally) and have had one lesson from an amazing artist here on Hornby. I normally paint with watercolours but am looking for a new challenge so am now taking up acrylic painting.

This is the picture of my still life which was started at my recent lesson.

This is a heron painted in watercolours.


This is my latest painting of this particular heron but with acrylics and a totally different background (both backgrounds are from my imagination).




I am currently in the process of doing another still life with a mango, lemon and lime, two of which are starting to turn bad, and then onto a landscape scene.
This is the fruit in progress......

My intention is to eventually have a page with all my paintings, some old and some new that will evolve over time. Till then, Cést la vie!

5 comments:

  1. Whoa, Karen!

    VERY VERY VERY NICE paintings.

    And this talent has been burried for how long? You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! You should write more often, at least when you're not busy cranking out masterpieces
    ...the anonymous dawg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, okay -- I was the "visitor for a week"...but always such fun !! Thanks for sharing your talents g/f--the Fall Season will bring wonderful painting ops. hugs, from El Shrimpo ^:^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you guys! Nice comments.
    El Shrimpo.....you were only here 6 days. I think my Mom was here 6 too so actually no one stayed a week.....or Sam did - 1 1/2 weeks, but I guess he's not a guest. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the opportunity to see your paintings Karen, I like them very much! They are all good (says she of the uneducated eye) but my favorites of all is the still life . I love the colours. Keep this up and you'll have a regular paintin' place going on over there. ;-)
    Love,Sue

    ReplyDelete